[78-L] Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 15:48:28 PDT 2012

Julian,

My comments were directed at your reaction to an interview he gave, which I
tried to put in a different context which might cause readers of your
posting to look at them a bit differently, not to point out that he was
charming. I also used the opportunity to comment on his other talents in
case other readers of your post were not aware of what else he did.

I repeat: your opinion is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to
it. Clearly you know Johnson's work based on your listening, so your
opinion has some interest to me, why I am responding. I think it is
interesting that you like certain of his recordings but point out that one
of them is weak. Maybe he had a bad day???? Recording sessions of big bands
were ended early because the band clearly was tired or the spirit to create
good recordings just wasn't there that day.

I, on the other hand, am very proud to know or have known many of my
heroes, primarily because it has helped me understand their art better when
I conduct it or teach it to students. The human element is still key when
dealing with an art form. For instance, it will always be fascinating to me
that Stan Getz, reportedly a really lousy human being, could create such
beautiful music.

Jeff Sultanof