[78-L] Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 03:03:02 PST 2012

On 03/11/12 22:48, Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> Julian,
>
> My comments were directed at your reaction to an interview he gave, which I
> tried to put in a different context which might cause readers of your
> posting to look at them a bit differently, not to point out that he was
> charming. I also used the opportunity to comment on his other talents in
> case other readers of your post were not aware of what else he did.
>
> I repeat: your opinion is your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to
> it. Clearly you know Johnson's work based on your listening, so your
> opinion has some interest to me, why I am responding. I think it is
> interesting that you like certain of his recordings but point out that one
> of them is weak. Maybe he had a bad day???? Recording sessions of big bands
> were ended early because the band clearly was tired or the spirit to create
> good recordings just wasn't there that day.
>
> I, on the other hand, am very proud to know or have known many of my
> heroes, primarily because it has helped me understand their art better when
> I conduct it or teach it to students. The human element is still key when
> dealing with an art form. For instance, it will always be fascinating to me
> that Stan Getz, reportedly a really lousy human being, could create such
> beautiful music.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

=================================
One point I was trying to make is that his work didn't carry that much
personality, unlike the other ones I've mentioned earlier. Of course,
it's possible to identify him on many records, but mainly by default,
because it couldn't be anyone else. I sometimes get the feeling that,
yes, he's mastered his instrument and he's letting everyone know it (but
not in the flamboyant way of, say, Frank Rosolino), rather than just
getting on with playing music.

However, I find enough of his work satisfying  not to place him in the
dreaded "Room 101" along with the usual suspects!

      Julian Vein