[78-L] Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson [fwd]gg

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 15:42:29 PDT 2012

On 03/11/12 21:27, Mike Harkin wrote:
> That's always a problem with the written word, esp. reporting speech.  Much
> is not conveyed by the bare words.  If I read that Dweebleigh said,
> "Gorpington-Smurdleigh is a pompous ass,", I am likely to think that he actually is one -- unless the author adds the context:  Dweebleigh said in
> his best pompous ass manner, with a twinkle in his eye, laying his finger
> aside of his nose, "g-s is a p.a."  Whereas he is actually the least pompous
> chap you could hope to find.  Plus,he was standing there at the time, another bbit not shown by the speech alone, and omitted by your rather
> mediocre author.
>
> Mike in Plovdiv

Actually, I'm transcribing at the moment, a very long interview by one
pianist (not a jazz one) whom I know, with one I don't (who sometimes
plays jazz). To put some animation into the words I've been using more
punctuation that one would normally put in prose. I also include
comments like [laughs] where appropriate. Of course, if I'd been
conducting the interview myself, I could've put in comments like
[smiles] and [grimaces].

      Julian Vein