[78-L] Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Nov 3 13:18:49 PDT 2012

Erwin,
I thought it was more than an opinion. I tried to argue a case for my
views. If I'd said "Johnson's playing leaves me cold" (which it doesn't
always), then that would have been an opinion. If I say "Johnson's
playing leaves me cold because...", then that's arguing a position.

At least Johnson doesn't enter my list of pet dislikes: Bennie Moten,
Jimmy Rushing, Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald, all of whom I could
argue a case against--perhaps not very well. If I don't like a
performer, I need to find out why.

       Julian Vein