[78-L] Some thoughts on J.J.Johnson [fwd]gg

Mike Harkin xxm.harkin at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 3 14:27:16 PDT 2012

That's always a problem with the written word, esp. reporting speech.  Much
is not conveyed by the bare words.  If I read that Dweebleigh said,
"Gorpington-Smurdleigh is a pompous ass,", I am likely to think that he actually is one -- unless the author adds the context:  Dweebleigh said in
his best pompous ass manner, with a twinkle in his eye, laying his finger
aside of his nose, "g-s is a p.a."  Whereas he is actually the least pompous
chap you could hope to find.  Plus,he was standing there at the time, another bbit not shown by the speech alone, and omitted by your rather
mediocre author.

Mike in Plovdiv