[78-L] Use of double bass in dance bands

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:21:34 PDT 2012

I can say that brass instruments as a whole are much easier for amateurs to acquire the basics of than string instruments.  (I also play violin and viola) This is a general truism (with exceptions) that has gone from the invention of valved brass in the 1810s - from 19th and 20th century British miners' and factory bands down to school bands and orchestras to-day.  I have a lot of respect for school string teachers because they have the hardest jobs of making their students sound tolerable, and it wears on them something fierce.  Starting violin in 6th grade was frustrating, as the Suzuki system used stressed technique way over musicality; picking up Eb tuba, I was in the top elementary school band in a month, playing in the neighboring junior high school band a month later, and then playing in a pit orchestra a month after that.  I was eleven. PC