[78-L] How do you organize your collection?

Tyrone Settlemier talk78s.settlemier at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 1 21:38:50 PDT 2012

It varies greatly by record type.

Cylinders: by type (brown wax, moulded, 4 minute, etc), then by label and catalog number
78s: By size, then strictly by label, then catalog number.  However, when a label has several series, I will order them by date of production.  For instance, I do not mix up my single-sided Victors in the 1000 sequence with the 1000-sequence Red Seals.
45s:  By artist, then by label, then catalog #
Classical LPs:  By Composer, then by composition type.  When there are multiple composers, by first work on first side.
Non-classical LPs:  By genre, then by artist and album title.

Perhaps a lesson on how not to do it, but it works for me.  As Cary said, it depends on how you research them or are accustomed to finding them.

Tyrone