[78-L] Marvin Hamlisch dies

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 7 19:27:56 PDT 2012

Hey, going back to the days of the pit piano, some films were provided with
scores and sometimes you got 15-year-old Fats Waller or 83-year-old Mildred
Hammerschlager playing whatever made a noise. By the way, once upon a time I
interviewed two very wise lyricists who said that movies should NEVER use music
that was already well known. That was about 32 years ago when there were still
a few composers writing full scores. Their names? Marilyn and Alan Bergman.
Can't remember the big hit song they wrote with this guy Hamburger..

dl