[78-L] Marvin Hamlisch dies

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 18:24:31 PDT 2012

Alex North's music for "Spartacus" is a perfect example. There are only
a few instances, if that, where music is actually performed by the
characters in the film. One is when Antoninus, played by Tony Curtis,
sings a "song," which is actually spoken free verse, with no musical
accompaniment, perfectly plausible for that period.

When I was in music school so many years ago, I recall from Music
History class that there are no examples of Roman music. Little to
nothing is known about the music of ancient Rome. So a composer can
really do whatever he wants, with no one to point to an example and say
"this is anachronistic."

Unless something has turned up since then, and it was 36 years ago.
--
Joe Salerno