[78-L] Things found in Buffalo yesterday

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jul 13 11:39:14 PDT 2012

I'm surprised that you had never seen this version of the album -- I
have at least three of them, Leah has one or two, and have seen more.
(The first one I got back in the 60s had the front flap torn off which
leaves only the contents list and the catalog list.  Very confusing.)
This is the first Columbia Lp with an illustrated cover, and one which
matched the 78 version.  By the end of 1949 when Vol 2 was issued, they
put it in the now-usual cardboard cover and changed the top-right photo
to a Vol 1 notice.  I think the credits was restored (not going
downstairs to check.)

The most important cover change was Volume 3.  The first printing said
on the front "Read and re-created" about the recordings, but the typo
was soon changed to "Real and re-created".  Considering that there are
only five "real"
 recordings, the fist version is more accurate. The credits list is also
changed.  One of the names added is that of the actual 1920 KDKA
announcer who was an ad agency exec by then.  That is a category of
people they mention were used in the re-creations.  There is a slight
possibility that the fake 1920 KDKA election return announcement was
actually voiced in 1950 by the actual original guy.  Also not going
downstairs to get his name.

As for Dave Weiner's criticism, I totally disagree.  The photos are much
more useful than a line drawing of Murrow in the later version.  And
when having all three volumes in the original versions they make an
interesting collage.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com