[78-L] Record of Singing

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jun 26 20:52:02 PDT 2012

The first volume had a very small pressing -- perhaps 1000 but maybe
only 500.  It was sold out before people found out about it.  Vol II was
much easier to find -- it had a larger pressing and they knew that they
were going to redo Vol I as a bargain priced improved issue so they
didn't repress the original. So the lore and price of the original
increased till suddenly the bottom dropped out of any market for the
original when the new version hit the market.

I think the only time I ever saw an original Vol I was during an ARSC
conference when a bunch of us were at a record store in Washington D.C.,
probably at DuPont Circle, and the classical section was on the second
floor.  I think Phil Miller was there, and since he was THE renown vocal
collector I saw the copy -- maybe $150 --and I asked him if it was worth
it.  There was NO way I could have afforded it anyway.  There were so
many copies of Vol II around that it was even remaindered.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com