[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 45, Issue 35

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 17:31:46 PDT 2012

Bob,

Interesting thought.  I don't know the zincating process you
describe, but producing an aluminum  disc with smoother walls,
by whatever means, would surely reduce the surface noise
(however, those in pristine condition are surprisingly quiet).

Still I don't believe plating would reduce the noises cause by
grooves which have been eaten away by corrosion.

Another possible avenue: those remarkable compounds which
dentists now use for making dental impressions might be used
to make a new negative - pulled from an old aluminum disc -
which could be plated and played like a stamper with a bi-point
stylus.  (I can dream, can't I?)

Doug