[78-L] Radio Poets

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 15 11:59:55 PDT 2012

On 6/15/2012 2:55 PM, Donna Halper wrote:
> On 6/15/2012 2:13 PM, Tom wrote:
>> I've heard of Edgar Guest, though I couldn't name the title of one of
>> his poems, or quote a line of poetry he'd written, if my life depended
>> on it.
>>

> Edgard Guest was not someone we today would consider a great poet.  He
> wrote inspirational verse, and observations about the human condition.
> Every cliché in the world found its way into his poems, which may be why
> today, few people know his name.  But it was a simpler age, and every
> city had a similar poet; audiences loved them and found them
> encouraging.  Edgar Guest was heard on the air in a number of cities,
> and response to his readings was always overwhelmingly positive,
> according to newspaper reports.  Amy Lowell, here in Boston, was
> similarly well received, although her poetry was much more complex.

Speaking of Boston (or not), I have a Solitaire lp of something called RUFUS
GOOFUS, written by T. B. Gleave, read by Robert F. Steward, music composed and
written (like there's a difference?) and directed by Harold Miller. Is there a
Boston connection to this, as there seems to be with so much other Solitaire stuff?