[78-L] Radio Poets

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Fri Jun 15 11:55:03 PDT 2012

On 6/15/2012 2:13 PM, Tom wrote:
> I've heard of Edgar Guest, though I couldn't name the title of one of
> his poems, or quote a line of poetry he'd written, if my life depended
> on it.

Edgard Guest was not someone we today would consider a great poet.  He
wrote inspirational verse, and observations about the human condition.
Every cliché in the world found its way into his poems, which may be why
today, few people know his name.  But it was a simpler age, and every
city had a similar poet; audiences loved them and found them
encouraging.  Edgar Guest was heard on the air in a number of cities,
and response to his readings was always overwhelmingly positive,
according to newspaper reports.  Amy Lowell, here in Boston, was
similarly well received, although her poetry was much more complex.