[78-L] Radio Poets

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 15 11:13:26 PDT 2012

I've heard of Edgar Guest, though I couldn't name the title of one of
his poems, or quote a line of poetry he'd written, if my life depended
on it.

However, among the truly great poets, T.S. Eliot did BBC broadcasts
of theFour Quartets (Little Gidding, Burnt Norton, East Coker,
and The Dry Salvages) during the darkest days of WW II, although
I can't imagine being consoled by hearing lines like theseif I were
some terrified kid about to invade Omaha beach:

"The dove descending breaks the air
With flame of incandescent terror
Of which the tongues declare
The one discharge from sin and error.
The only hope, or else despair
Lies in the choice of pyre of pyre—
To be redeemed from fire by fire.
 "Who then devised the torment? Love.
Love is the unfamiliar Name
Behind the hands that wove
The intolerable shirt of flame
Which human power cannot remove.
We only live, only suspire
Consumed by either fire or fire."

T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965), "Little Gidding"