[78-L] Acme 78 rpm recods of the Cartet Family

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Sun Jun 3 20:54:12 PDT 2012

The A.P. Carter Family (minus Maybelle) held recording sessions for Acme on the following dates:

1/11/52, 3/7/52, April 1952, 6/5/52, 3/1/56, 4/16/56, 4/19/56, and 4/20/56. Fourteen discs (#s 990 - 1004, except for 1003) from the 1952 sessions and several more from the '56 session were released. Many of the sides were issued on Acme LPs as well as reissues on the Pine Mountain label in the 1970s. There was also an LP on the Bell label from the '56 sessions.

I have nine of the 78s - they are not easy to find, but demand is limited for them, so usually they can be had for under $20 each. Historically, they are significant as they are the only post-war recordings featuring A.P. Carter, who is featured more prominently on them than he was with the original Carter Family sides that included Maybelle.

Of special interest is Acme 1010, which features Jimmie Rodgers' widow Carrie "visiting" the Carter Family in the same way her husband did on two sessions in 1930 and '31. It is believed that the "reunion" was recorded in the same room that the Carters and Rodgers made their first records for Victor in 1927 - on the 3rd floor of 410 State Street in Bristol, Tennessee. All the A.P. Carter sessions were made in Bristol, except for the first, which was made in Columbia, Kentucky at the WAIN radio studios.

The Acme recordings consist of A.P. Carter, Sara Carter Bayes (who had since remarried after divorcing A.P. in the '40s), and their children Janette and Joe.

Cary Ginell