[78-L] Sticky record

H D Goldman thedoctor at discdoc.com
Mon Apr 30 08:32:01 PDT 2012

Hi David,

Sleeve residues on vinyl discs have been discussed periodically online at the Phonogram list [the vinyl version of 78-L]for more than a decade.  There appears to be no general approach that can be relied upon to routinely deal with either adhesive residues or various types of "ghosting".

Assuming that application of our Miracle Record Cleaner, full strength is ineffective, three possible approaches have been successful in some applications.

1)  We developed an "Augmented Record Cleaner" that has been effective on some types of sleeve-related contamination & the rare disc not thoroughly cleaned with our standard product.

2)  A 1:1 mixture of our QuickWash Record Cleaner & methanol [aka methyl alcohol].  Methanol should be high grade.  This blend was 1st prepared by Bruce Kinch, a long time record reviewer, collector & editor [Primal Vinyl Exchange Newsletter] & found to remove white ghosting from some early classical pressings where other approaches failed..

3)  3M Solvent Remover. This is a small aerosol can, citrus based.  No organic solvent, pressurized with propane & isobutane.  When I've offered a small amount for a trial, the aerosol is dispensed into a small glass vial & the propellant allowed to evaporate.  This leaves a small volume of aqueous concentrated cleaner, safe for regular mailing.  It can easily be applied by dropper, syringe or wood stick q-tip. Wash & rinse as usual.

Good luck,

Duane Goldman