[78-L] David Hall Obit [fwd]

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Apr 16 07:55:30 PDT 2012

Of course, many of us did know him personally, and he was an
enthusiastic mentor to young collectors, discographers, and archivists.
When I first heard about ARSC in 1971, the current president was the
music librarian at my school, Northwestern.  So I went over and asked
him about it, and noted that David's name was listed as was Philip
Miller.  "If I went to this conference, might I be able to meet them?"
"Sure," he replied.  And not only did I meet them, I was having lunch
with them the first day!

I wish Leah and I had had a chance to interview him on videotape when we
were doing her "For the Record" documentary, but beyond that I had so
many additional questions to ask on my research projects.  When I
contacted him a year or two ago, his partner said that his memory had
mostly gone but he did recognize my name when she gave him my message.

David Hall was a driving force in the creation of ARSC and what was the
premiere sound archive, R&H.  I've already been missing him.  Say Hi to
Phil for me.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com