[78-L] David Hall Obit [fwd]

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 10:35:53 PDT 2012

Almost every Saturday for about three years, I would be at the Rodgers and
Hammerstein Archive, and he was usually there. At first he eyed me
suspiciously, but then he saw me there repeatedly and saw the call slips of
the recordings I wanted to hear, which were not your typical teenage fare.
I would occasionally ask a question, and got an answer that held me rooted
to the spot with its thoroughness. I will never forget his notations in the
various discographies: corrections, call numbers for recordings, and odd
notations that I didn't understand. One day I found out what they were. I
noted in a copy of Jepsen that the archive had a recording on an Epic EP,
but the number made no sense to me. I filled out a call slip, handed it to
the librarian (there were two there usually; one was more snooty than the
other), and was promptly told, "David Hall isn't here, and I don't know
where this is." I wondered why. "He stashes some things where only he knows
where they are." I eventually found out that there were a number of
recordings that were as yet uncatalogued, and he found places for them in
case anyone wanted to hear them. The other librarians didn't know and
probably didn't care where he put them, but I was impressed that he wanted
people to have access to them even though the staff hadn't gotten to them
yet. There was one instance where he made me aware of a recording the
archive had that was not catalogued, and found it for me so that I could
hear it.

He was a great man, and I feel very lucky to have known him, albeit
slightly.

Jeff Sultanof