[78-L] "A Shady Tree" by Paul Whiteman

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Apr 15 18:20:22 PDT 2012

I have only a single label image of a Gram. Co./HMV issue with a 5 prefix.
That is Disque pour Gramophone 5-7906, Madame Renée Chemet, Deutscher Tanz (Mozart).
Red coloured dog label, with the nr at 5h in a "segment".
So what was the meaning of the 5 prefix?

I also have an image of UK HMV 2-0889, "Gypsy Suite"(German) No.1 - Symph. Orch. cond. by composer.
Black coloured dog label, with the nr at 5h in a "segment".
Is this nr 0889 in the same numerical series as Whiteman's 0865 ?
This is the only HMV image I have with such a low number with a 2 prefix. More common is the
earlier (1910s) HMV 2-3000 series.

Both labels do not show mx.nrs.

han enderman
===
>>> The EDVR indicates that the 12-inch version of "A Shady Tree" by Paul Whiteman
AHO, mx. CVE-41682, was issued by one of the HMV branches on catalogue
number 5-0865:
http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/800015916/CVE-41682-A_shady_tree

This is interesting, as both Rust's ADBD and Sudhalter & Evans indicate that all takes
were rejected. Can anyone confirm which country the disc was issued in, or whether
they've ever seen a copy?

-HA
<<<