[78-L] Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Apr 4 22:07:17 PDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 10:23 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> On 4/4/2012 9:32 PM, Steve Williams wrote:
>> Herbert Berliner was using Marsh Equipment?
> No, Compo pressed some Autographs for Canadian issue, including a few early
> Jesse Crawfords. So he recorded electrically for Marsh before recording
> acoustically for Victor.
There's the two Apex Radiatone broadcast airchecks and there is a photo
of Herbert Berliner at some electrical equipment in Roll Back the Years.

> I thought the type of equipment
>> being used was never established, but that the Canadian recordings sounded
>> better than the US Marsh stuff, even better than early Pallaphotophone.
>> Sutton postulates that the first Victor tests, which are not documented
>> either at Western Electric, nor as any WE or GE field test, were done by
>> Compo.. There are only negative implications, where the Electric tests were
>> NOT done..

There are Victor electrical experiments between 1922 and 1924 detailed
in the Albertus Hewitt notebooks.

>> I have 19571, it seems to me they are the same orchestra. The electric side
>> sounds like Jack Shilkret or the International Novelty Orchestra playing
>> very carefully, possibly not being used to the mic and seating arrangement.
>> However several researchers have indeed suggested the Electric was recorded
>> in Montreal. Sound balance-wise a good comparison is with Waring's "Little
>> Peach" recorded April 2nd for 19636, which may have been the first
>> INTERNATIONAL Victor black label electric release, after 19626, which was
>> only regional.  I have this record in a very clean E condition.

There are a bunch of electrical recordings made by both these
organizations in the ledger sheets but were not issued.  But there are
issued black label sides recorded prior to April 2.

19730B was recorded electrically on Mon Mar 23, 1925 on B-VE 32179-3
Petite Suite Impromptu
35755B was recorded electrically on Mon Mar23, 1925  on C-VE 32180-2
Berecuse from Petite Suite
35758A was recorded elecctrically on Tues Mar24, 1925 on C-VE 32182-1.
Duo from Petite Suite  V Conc O.
19630 was recorded electrically Thurs Mar 26, 1925 on BVE 32183-1 All
Aboard and 32184-2  Let It Rain.  Meyer Davis
19655B was recorded electrically on Thurs Mar 26, 1925 on BVE 32185-3
Bye and Bye.
19650A was recorded electrically on Thurs April 2, 1925 on BVE 32198-3
Homeland   Victor Male Chorus.

Of course there are the Red Seal Cortot's on Sat Mar 21.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com