[78-L] Victor 19571, was Re: Victor Scroll Labels in Canada?

Steve Williams jazzhunter at collector.org
Wed Apr 4 21:57:52 PDT 2012

Let's not miss one point here, Victor did not have its own electric recorder
until March 12, 1925.  The Victor ledgers only list Victor recordings.
Western Electric had its own studio to, of course, demonstrate the process
to Columbia and Victor (and Brunswick).  Paper records of some of these
apparently exist, since late 1924 WE-recorded Victor tests are documented. -
The talent still had to paid for their time... It is almost certain that
"You and I" was recorded by Western Electric; documentation of such may or
may not be among the Western Electric paperwork.  If Rust had extended the
Master book back a few tens of matrixes then he would probably have stumbled
upon the mystery, and traced down the "missing" recording, possibly
post-publication. Several other early electric matrixes that started as
acoustics were also missed (see below).

" There is at least one earlier Victor electric issued to the public than
19626
(Buenos Aires, Shilkret, March 20/25), the Miniature Concert by the Eight
Popular Victor Artists..don't have the date handy but one side of it is from

February, if I recall."

Yes, Mid February at Western Electric.  The Popular Artists recorded this
session both acoustically and electrically. The reason THIS Western Electric
recording is documented by Victor is that it is a legitimate release, with
matrixes shared with the acoustics..  The test was good enough for issue,
just as Art Gilham's earliest electric release was in fact a test, but
nevertheless issued - on the Columbia Gold label. The first Victor in-house
electric recordings were done March 14, 15, and 16th.

Look on page 9 of the Master book. 32098-1, March 13, Victor 19624, the
International Novelty Orchestra in "My Kid." That was recorded ACOUSTICALLY.
And of course acoustic recordings continue into the 19700s.  Then March 14th
an ELECTRIC classical recording appears on 12", then nothing much until
March 25 when a lot of recording is done in Houston and New Orleans,
acoustically (?)   Victor has been installing and testing their electric
recording instruments.  April 2 Waring records "Little Peach" electrically,
32197-2 (19636) (Nice record!) but the flip "Swanee Butterfly" matrix 31878
is not listed in RMB2.  Go to dance band, Waring, he tries 5 times to
ACOUSTICALLY record this on February 27, all are rejected, maybe because for
their first ELECTRIC recording they go into the studio again on April 2nd,
1925. Take 9 is finally released. This is the lowest electric release number
other than 19626 (and 19571 of course.) One previous attempt, probably
acoustic, of "Does my Sweetie Do..." was rejected.  Then on April 3rd they
try again, 32192-6 and that's their third electric recording to be released,
(19655) again with 6 takes while getting used to the new recording
conditions.

..  Steve Williams  ..

Message: 13