[78-L] Old Geezers

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Mar 29 11:52:08 PDT 2012

On 3/28/2012 4:37 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Nice! I was wracking my brain to try and remember where I knew it from while it
> was airing, and I remembered the PETER AND SOPHIA album where it's spelled "Zoo
> Be Zoo Be Zoo" but I was unaware of the 1961 version "Zou Bisou Bisou" by
> Gillian Hill.
>
> http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/zoo-be-zoo-be-zoo-mad-men.html
>
> dl

I recognized the song immediately -- and Sophia does a much better job.
But remember, she had the benefit of George Martin being the producer.

BUT -- according to an article in The Daily Beast, Gillian Hill's
version was first.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/26/mad-men-premiere-a-history-of-zou-bisou-bisou-megan-s-sultry-song-to-don.html
   ""/Zou Bisou Bisou/ was a summer smash for a 16-year-old, my first
record, the summer of 1960," Hills, who still records music and also
works a visual artist, told The Daily Beast in an email. ... "Eddy
[Barclay, the head of Barclay Records] let me listen to Sophia Loren's
English version after I had recorded the song," said Hills, now in her
late 60s and living in London. "For some reason her version did not
catch on."   How long after Hill's recording did she hear the Loren
recording??  It must have been after the Loren recording was released.
But if Hill's was a hit in France in 1960, it was not recorded in 61 as
the Vulture article says.  But the Beast article is the one that claims
it was from the film -- which it wasn't.   AND the French title makes a
hell of a lot more sense than the English one.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com