[78-L] Non-Bluebird/ RCA Spike Jones 78s

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Sun Mar 11 18:59:06 PDT 2012

1 - I have a 78 label image of Starlite 1371, No Boom-Boom..., as by Davey Crackpot.
Will mail it.
The Starlite images I have are in the range 1360-1375 and the others are by The Hi-Los.
All state: "A Division Of Coda Productions".

2 - The Verve 10000 series is 45rpm, with a few popular ones also on 78, like
10047/70 Ricky Nelson.

5 - A pity, I only have images of the adjacent US Decca 29622/26 & Canadian 29625.

han enderman
===
>>> I was reading through Jordan Young's book on Spike Jones and have a
few questions about the discography given therein, specifically
around non-Bluebird/ RCA releases -- not counting transcriptions.

So, here's a laundry list of question around those issues on 78s

1) Young lists the Starlite release of Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom
White (cat. 1371) as 78 and 45. I've seen the 45 but never the 78.
Can anyone confirm its existence. (BTW -- did Spike really own Starlite?)

2) What was the format of Verve 2003 (reissued/ renumbered as 10003)
Spike Jones Spoofs The Pops #1. It was a 4 song release - Love &
Marriage and The Trouble With Pasquale b/w Memories Are Made Of This
and 16 Tacos. A later issue dropped Love & Marriage  and replaced it
with a song called Little Child. Was this truly a 78 RPM EP. For
which catalog number was Love & Marriage replaced?

3) The WB release (5116) of I Was a Teenage Brain Surgeon was October
1959, so a bit late for 78 I'd think even in Canada. However if Spike
was popular in South Africa, could it have made it out there on 78 as
WB continued 78s until 1963 in that area.

4) Could the 1960 (plus) releases on Liberty be possible 78s in the
Philippines?

5) Finally, Decca. Obviously the 1941 releases by Cindy Walker and
the City Slicekrs are 78s, but does any one have an image of the 1955
release under the name 'The Banjo Maniacs' or Pick It You Peasant on
Decca 29623?

Any ideas

T <<<