[78-L] Heart of the...

Ted Kneebone tkneebone1 at abe.midco.net
Sat Mar 10 13:35:12 PST 2012

When I first started collecting records, I bought the
Heart of the Piano Concerto.  8 sides, 8 concertos.
I enjoyed them all and decided to get the full concertos
as my income (10c a week) would allow.  I got most of
them on 78s, a few on LPs.  Then came CDs.  I think I
have all 8, but have not checked recently.  Some of them
I omitted on CD because I didn't really like them.
    My collection was built depending on how much I
listened to the radio.  I wrote down the name of the piece
and the composer.  This was in the 1940s so there was no
FM.  The static sometimes interfered with my note taking.
    When LPs came along, I was often pleasantly surprised
to find a real gem on side 2.  Even on CDs I have discovered
real gems.  I bought the Chaikovskii piano concerto #1 in
Petri's recording.  It has a piece I had not heard before:
Brahms' variations & fugue on a theme by Handel.  What a
wonderful surprise!
Ted Kneebone
1528 S. Grant Street
Aberdeen, SD 57401