[78-L] abbreviated works

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Mar 10 11:56:12 PST 2012

dl wrote:

If it was the late 1920s, there was probably still a market for "highlights"
and abbreviated performances, a carry-over from simplified symphonies and
overtures on acoustical discs.

However I've never seen these abbreviated versions done by big name orchestras and conductors;  they're more likely to be done by Prince's Orchestra or the Victor Symphony conducted by Boudon or O'Connell.  But one recording which has ruthless cuts and breakneck speeds is Albert Coates' recording of Beethoven's 7th on three records.  I also have a version of the "Eroica" by Hamilton Harty on six sides.  I haven't heard that recording yet but it has to present the disc equivalent of more notes on the floor than in the reel.

db