[78-L] Marche Slav

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Mar 10 16:31:05 PST 2012

Personal taste, of course, but I like my Tchaikovsky 5th with the cut (it
removes what to me is just a 2 minute bunch of noodling up and down the scale.
This wasn't just done to save record sides..I have a broadcast performance of
it on transcription discs and the cut is taken. No idea who is performing (no
announcements and nothing on the labels). The same goes for his Second Piano
Concerto. And Rachmaninoff's Second Symphony can be the most boring thing in
the world or something exciting and dynamic, depending on whether the cuts the
composer sanctioned are used (and the tempos chosen by Sokoloff and
Wallenstein, thank you very much).

Ravel EXPANDED his perfectly formed Mother Goose Suite into a tedious bunch of
filler, occasionally relieved by the five original sections.

dl