[78-L] abbreviated works

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Sat Mar 10 21:40:37 PST 2012

Most of the Chicago Symphony's 1916 sides were of abbreviated works, as were the contemporary Cincinnati sides under Kunwald and Ysaye and the NYPO/Stransky sides.  In a flip on this premise, the CSO's 1917 "Bacchanale" from SAMSON ET DALILA is cut to one side, whereas Edison gave 2 sides to it for the "American Symphony Orch"/Cesare Sodero's complete version in 1919.  (It's a rollicking performance, too.)  And don't shortchange the VSO/Bourdon sides; the orchestra is Philadelphia Orchestra personnel, and you ought to read THE GRAMOPHONE's review of their 4-side WILLIAM TELL.  Laudatory ain't the word.  PC