[78-L] Were 78's ever disabled in any way as record store returns to save return shipping costs?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 12 07:45:15 PST 2012

I've never heard of this as a method of indicating a delete or discontinued
record. During the shellac shortage when records were turned in for credit,
someone was supposed to break off a bit to make sure they weren't laminated,
but weren't discontinued records just jobbed out and often marked with a low
price by the retailer? This just sounds like vandalism. Or accidental
scratching with a staple or something.

The Sparton plant in London, Ontario manufactured Columbia records for Canada
from 1940 to 1954 and there was a problem with album sets having scratches on
one side of some of the discs..this apparently turned out to be caused by an
employee who wore a large engagement ring.

dl