[78-L] Were 78's ever disabled in any way as record store returns to save return shipping costs?

Dennis Flannigan dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 22:46:32 PST 2012

Magazine returns often have the cover torn off, and their then recycled. I
had old EC comics with covers removed, and the clipped corners, or drill
holes on Lps and 45's are common.

However, twice now I've had 78's in good condition, with about a half inch
thin (toothpick point sized) cut about a half inch in length, say six
grooves deep. Seems clearly cut with a high speed, sharp saw or some
implement that did not shatter or chip the disc It simply leaves a half
inch long from narrow gap starting at the edge. Is there some other
explanation?

The one I'm recording right now is, "I Touched a Star," Columbia 36161,
Raymond Scott and his New Orchestra. Click Repair should make it sound just
fine on a Cd, or digitally, but since it is the second I've noticed, wonder
what happened.

Dennis