[78-L] Cleaning Lacquers.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 4 09:12:33 PST 2012

Hi!

I recently acquired some dubbings of Benny Goodman broadcasts in 1937.
HOWEVER, the dubbings are on lacquer discs and have now begun to
suffer from that thing wherein the surface turns a very grey
colour...probably some form of slow chemical decomposition or
whatever.

I'm sure that there must be something which could clean these
lacquers and get rid of the loud noise this stuff makes...other than
cleaning up the sound digitally, of-course.

Can any of you experts suggest anything to clean them with?
There's still a lot of good quality sound underneath it all! ;-)

I live in London, so please don't suggest a 'brand' of substance sold
in the USA for I won't know what it is! ;-)

Earl Okin.