[78-L] Raymond Scott question

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:30:09 PST 2011

Mr. Lennick wrote:

I've found a ten-inch lacquer identified as MARCH OF THE SLIDE TROMBONES by
RAYMOND SCOTT. No indication if he's the composer (I believe he is) or the
bandleader, and this title isn't in the index in my Scott discography (Metolius
Music). The name of the recording studio is obscured by a sticker..starts with
A and ends with D, probably no more than 8 or 9 letters, located at 1625
Broadway, NY. Any info?

"March of the Slide Trombones," although not in his distinctive style, is definitely a Scott original. Mitzi Scott
included it on a tape she had made for me in 1993, so it is something that is represented in his archive,
probably the same recording.

Mr. Moorman wrote:

Apparently Scott had recorded virtually every performance and many rehearsals during his career.
By 1952 he was back to being Harry Warnow and was doing chiefly radio staff work, mainly CBS
I believe, and this might be something that he had done as a song demo.

The idea that Raymond readopted his given name, or used it professionally after 1933, is a mistake in Will Friedwald's text
for the Stash booklet, and when I pointed that out to Will he was very unhappy about it. I have seen checks from an account
that Raymond owned, and at a certain time in his life he did legally change his name to "Raymond Scott" though all of the
children from his first marriage are named Warnow.

It is true that he worked principally for CBS as a music director from 1934 to 1938 and then again from 1942 to 1944. When his
brother Mark Warnow died in 1949 he was offered Mark's job as leader of the Your Hit Parade series. However, the television
version aired on NBC. It moved back to CBS for its last season (1958-59) but by then Scott was gone; he, and the entire cast,
was fired at the end of the 1956-57 season. Only Dorothy Collins returned, and that was the result of a concerted letter writing
campaign conducted by the fans.

Uncle Dave Lewis
uncledavelewis at hotmail.com