[78-L] Coast Records

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Fri Dec 9 08:28:17 PST 2011

I have images of Isham Jones red Bantam 9000 & 1 side of 9001,
which couple (contrary to Lord):

9000 280 ...Tears / 279 Too Good For My Own Good (Marilyn Thorne-v)
9001 282 ...Mexico / ?

What is reverse (with mx from label) of 9001?

han enderman
===
>>> ...the paste-over labels are on TOP of Coast, and they're BANTAM Records.
And those are red and blue. The Coast labels are..black?
Here's what Lord shows for Isham Jones on Coast:

   New York, c. 1947
M-61 It had to be you (cm vcl)  Coast 8022
M-63 On the Alamo (cm vcl)       -    , Living Era (E)CDAJA5320 [CD]
 The one I love belongs to somebody else (cm vcl)        8025
 I'll never have to dream again (cm vcl)       -
JRC-280-2 How many tears must fall ? (ba vcl)  Bantam 9001
JRC-282-2 She picked it up in Mexico (ba vcl)        -
Note:  Other matrices for the last two titles are RL5242, DEX S-7 and RL5244, DEX S-7.

8022 and 8025 are the outside numbers for the set Jeff mentions, right?
I bought this set some years ago, possibly from Tom Hawthorn, and they have Bantam labels. Blue.
I also have Bantam 9001 and it's a vinyl pressing with red labels.
Standard Transcription X-268 is Isham Jones, containing the following:
Everytime I See You/I'll See You In My Dreams/I'll Never Have to Dream Again/It Had to Be You/
To Good for My Own Good/She Picked It Up in Mexico/How Many Tears Must Fall?/My Best to You

CM is Curt Massey. BA is Bob Allen. Jones hadn't recorded since some Associated sides in 1940,
and didn't record again after the 1947 sides.
I believe the Standards and Coasts are the same recordings, with 4 sides not mentioned by Lord
on Coast 8023 and 8024.

dl
---
Bantam would have been his own record label; when the songs came up for
renewal, his estate put his share in the Bantam catalog.
No doubt he sold the recordings. Makes sense.
All of this suggests to me that he paid for these sessions himself and
issued them on his own label, then sold or leased them elsewhere.
Jeff Sultanof
---
these are the Coast records I happen to have --

ISHAM JONES: IT HAD TO BE YOU on Coast album C-2.  The two records are:
Coast 8022 ( It Had to Be You & On the Alamo) and
Coast 8023 (Swinging Down the Lane & You've Got Me Cryin' Again).
Vocals by Curt Massey.

ISHAM JONES MELODIES  on Coast album C-3.  The two records are:
Coast 8024 (I'll See You in My Dreams & The Wooden Soldier and the China Doll) and
Coast 8025  (The One I Love Belongs to Somebody Else & I'll Never Have to Dream Again).
Vocals by Curt Massey.

The Dorothy Lamour LULU BELLE album on Coast set C-10.   The two records are:
Coast 8053 and Coast 8054.

And two Dorothy Lamour singles (Coast 8036 & 8037).
-- Jack Raymond
---
C-2 and C-3 make up the 10" LP album issued on Capitol sometime in the 50s.
<<<