[78-L] Twins separated at birth?

victrola78s at aol.com victrola78s at aol.com
Tue Nov 15 13:18:36 PST 2011

"Folks, I recently gave my sweetie a blast from the past by wining a copy of
ubby The Tuba, the version narrated by Victor Jory on the Cosmo label, off
f dire old ebay. I had never heard this one before, and was immediately
truck by how similar Jory's narrative style was to that of Dwight Fiske.
I was a bit young when those artists were working, and wouldn't be
urprised to learn that many other actors plied the same tools of the
rade: lots of shifts between loud/soft, fast/slow, all for dramatic or
umorous effect.
I couldn't help but be surprised that these very different types of
ecord, one for kids, the other for adults, featured such similar delivery.
Best,
od"
What is the history on this Victor Jory "Tubby the Tuba" recording? Rod Brown mentioned it was on the Cosmo label, but as a kid in the mid 1960s I had it on a Peter Pan 45rpm disc, backed by a very condensed version of "Peter and the Wolf", also narrated by Victor Jory. Listening to the 45rpm today, it sounds like a 78rpm-era recording, so I'd welcome some recording data on these. I always liked Victor Jory, & his narration of "Peter and the Wolf" was the first I ever heard. The second version I heard was narrated by Basil Rathbone, which I picked up on a Columbia Lp when I was 14(35 years ago!).
Dennis "Kettle Drum" Forkel