[78-L] grading 78s with lamination cracks

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Nov 15 12:32:47 PST 2011

When I think of the overall condition grade (E or E+ or V+ or whatever),  I
think of the kind of damage to a record that would come with
middling-careless use over time...scuffs,  light scratches,  general wear.

Anything else in the way of condition issues  should be noted directly...be
it a lam or other crack,  chip, an unusually deep scratch,  actual stripping
of the grooves (as opposed to general wear), digs (skipping or not),  etc.

That seems to be how most of the good auctions list their stuff.

I have noticed in recent years that more auctioneers also describe the
condition of the label.  So long as I can read it,  I'm not too worried if
there is a sticker or other mark on it,  but I know that some collectors
want the record to look great in all ways,  even the parts you can't play.

Taylor