[78-L] Victor matrices, was Late Cal Steward [sic] 1919 re-recordings

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Nov 14 12:13:31 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Harold Aherne wrote:

> ...When did Victor finally begin assigning new matrix numbers at
> reasonable intervals? They
> were still assigning new takes to earlier matrices as late as 17
> Dec. 1928, when takes
> 12-13 of matrix BVE-25752 were recorded ("My Man" by Fannie Brice;
> takes 1-3 had
> been recorded 8 Nov. 1921, with just the B-prefix of course).

I don't know that they ever did...at least not as regular policy. The
only time a new matrix number would be given to an older title is if
a different artist were involved. There is, if I recall, a Paul
Whiteman remake recording that received a new matrix number at the
time of recording but was "corrected" to the earlier number with a
later take digit. Victor were fairly consistent in this regard. There
are BVE remakes of **three-digit** acoustic masters (BVE 241 by
"Sousa's Band" for instance).

Take care,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"