[78-L] Long length Billy Murray acoustical Victors

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Nov 14 11:25:01 PST 2011

It is too bad that the recently retired Elsie Garrison thought that
helping decode the ledger markings "would be a most time consuming
project".  As someone who is himself retired, I can tell you that TIME
is the commodity I have!  I wonder if some of the box, horn and
connector codes might be interpreted thru the Sooey diary that has been
posted on the Mainspring Press site.  Much of it might just be number
assigned to a specific piece of hardware, but dimensions might also be
some of the meanings.

As for the threads per inch as indicated by the numbers following the
letters, that does indeed seem consistent, with BB being 112 and the
regular threading being 88 or 92, at least for these records.  Of course
another way of determine it from a pressing would be counting the turns
for the movement of the stylus one inch, which would be an interesting
exercise for those who have these pressings.

I wonder if Victor actually had different interchangeable feed-screws
for their lathes as was the technique used in later years on lacquer
lathes.  Changing the rotational speed of the feed-screw could also
change the threads per inch, such as changing an Edison cylinder machine
from 2-minute to 4-minute threading. Subtle changes in feed-screw
rotation could change the threading from 88 to 92 to 112 with the same
feed-screw.

The best idea of the usefulness of thread-per-inch count I've ever come
across is with the Edison Rayedisonic experimental broadcast discs in
the late 20s.  They used 30 RPM (which was a much more intelligent speed
than 33 1/3) since it gave a rotation of EXACTLY 2 seconds, which was
easy to adjust.  The discs were grooved at 300 grooves per inch.  Each
inch was exactly ten minutes of time.  Each 1/10 of an inch was one
minute.  They designed a pick-up arm with a calibrated dial which could
provide exacting cueing points, but only two playback machines were ever
made.

Remember also that the Edison cylinder phonographs had two cut marks on
the reproducer support bar which would indicate exactly one minute of
time if the rotational speed was correct.  Since lateral discs were not
cut at specific threading, speed had to be calculated by counting the
rotations in a time length.  20 revs in 15 seconds for 80, and 78 in a
minute for 78.  This without the strobe disc, of course.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com