[78-L] Late Cal Steward 1919 re-recordings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 12 16:40:33 PST 2011

While looking up the long length Billy Murray recordings, I noted that
for Victor 16676 the EDVR lists an alternate take for the Cal Stewart
recording "Uncle Josh and the Photographer".  While take -2 was recorded
Nov 9, 1908, take -4 was recorded Aug 1, 1919 which is very late.  He
re-recorded 19 early sides that week, and one new one.  On Sept 12, 1919
which seems to be his final day of recording at Victor, he re-recorded
Ticklish Reuben and I'm Old But I'm Awfully Tough.  There are probably a
lot of 1919 re-recordings of him on late pressings that we haven't
noticed, maybe as many as fifty titles.

Not having a Cal Stewart discography has caused this info to be
generally lost to collectors.  You can figure it out by going to the
EDVR, looking up the Cal Stewart artist page, and one by one clicking on
his last recordings, then clicking on their recording dates.  His other
recordings made that date will be also listed, and on a matrix number by
matrix number basis you can see if the late re-recordings were issued.

Someone (not me) needs to tabulate this.

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com