[78-L] Original 78 rpm info? TOMMY DORSEY: DEDICATED TO YOU (RCA/Camden) 1964 Vinyl LP

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Tue Nov 8 14:52:16 PST 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Michael Biel posted:

>> The posting mentioned that his LP was a Camden Electronic Stereo
>> copy.
>> You can't get an LP transfer MORE dishonest than that!!!  These
>> 78s seem
>> early enough that they are probably not dubs themselves like many
>> mid-40s and later Victor 78s.

"Snootie Little Cutie" -- at least on the several copies I've
examined -- is a dubbed Take 5R (from Take 1) on the original release
Victor 27876-A. The other titles mentioned are, indeed, master-pressed.

And AMEN! on the dishonest transfer of a reverbed, phony-stereo LP
reissue. Bah! PTUI!!

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:

> Your right Mike, I don't like any kind of electronic (fake) stereo
> as it all sounds awful in every case. Other than that the LP
> transfer is nice but the original 78's will be much better even
> with the surface noise which doesn't bother me a bit. And yes if I
> had to choose between any 78 transfer on LP no matter how good or
> bad it was & a 78 rpm original record then guess what? I'll take
> the 78 (if I can find one) every time!!

If you can play .m4a files (iPod and iTunes standard) I can send you
my transfer of Victor 27876-A "Snootie Little Cutie." Even the 5R dub
can sound pretty good. The flip side "Moonlight On The Ganges" is
master-pressed, sounds much better.

> Just spotted these two on Ebay. For the rest I'll have to do a want
> it now as they don't turn up in a search this morning. I'll get
> them before long.....
>
> Snootie Little Cutie
> Will You Still Be Mine (seems to be a Connie Haines B side...)

Actually, "Will You Still Be Mine?" is the A side -- "Yes Indeed!" is
the B. Who'd-a thunk it? (There's another thread -- B-sides that were
the bigger hit...) Good luck picking up these Dorsey 78s!

Take care,

Joe
--
"When cat and mouse agree, the farmer has no chance."--English Proverb