[78-L] short sides - was Unusually long 78RPM sides

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 05:49:49 PST 2011

In the late 30s Moritz Rosenthal recorded the Chopin Sonata #3 for Vic.
He was well on in years, so they had him record the last movement on 2
sides, to give him a break. There is also an alternate wherein he plays
the entire last movement in one uninterrupted take. Fitting it on 1 side
was not a problem. I prefer the single sided take myself.

The short sides don't appear to be so short. When my eyes were younger,
I could look without a magnifying glass and see land between the grooves
and know that a side was short. Not so easy these days (altho on this
list I am only in the middle of the age spectrum).

joe salerno

--
Joe Salerno