[78-L] EQ - why bother? - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

David London jusmee123 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 16:08:30 PST 2011

I think it's best to combine the signals as near to the cartridge as
possible because even the cables have capacitance and inductance which will
alter the signal differently so it won't cancel as well when combined
later. I put jumper wires right on the cartridge clips.  If you combine the
signal after amplification it will be even worse, due to distortion in the
amplifier (and they all have SOME).

To alter a cart set up for vertical, to horizontal, just reverse the wires
on one channel only.   Also, I think a magnetic cart will work better than
an older piezo cart for this purpose.

My take on EQ is to use whatever sounds best.  I also use filters and tone
controls :).