[78-L] EQ - why bother? - was: stereo/mono and noise reduction

bradc944 at comcast.net bradc944 at comcast.net
Mon Nov 7 15:30:32 PST 2011

Actually, it was more a question of how to best achieve A+B, and I was looking for input & suggestions on that front...right now the method I am using is mixing-down to mono in CoolEdit (and should I be running double-Y-adapters in the audio chain between the external phono preamp and the receiver instead)... I do have a cartridge set up for verticals that will play back well in stereo mode... is there a cartridge wiring scheme that would effectively make a lateral-only device?

The tuner thing came as an add-on in one of the early responses.

And, yes, with audio reproduction equipment, you will get different 'flavorings' of EQ. It was not so much different from the days of acoustic reproduction (witch-hat cone v floor-standing Opera horn)... it's the stuff of which Stereophile writers dream and drool, I swear...

Brad (ducking and covering for I know the barrage about Stereophile Magazine drivel will be imminent!)