[78-L] FRENCH QUESTION

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Wed Nov 2 04:14:46 PDT 2011

On the other hand...
If you google for the actual use of "très zut" in French you'll find it
used in everyday language. Like here:
Excuse-moi, tu parle trés trés zut!
Ce non acceptable..

...which literally means:

Excuse me, you talk very very damn!
That's not acceptable

In the song's context

Had a spree in gay Paree
Those mademoiselles were mighty cute, très zut!

that would mean something like:

Those mademoiselles were mighty cute, oh damn!

...which, when followed by the usual praise of Connecticut, would be
quite logical: they weren't cute enough.
Compare with the previous verse which praises Italy, but ends with a
comparison with Connecticut:

Dined in Capri, thought it was swell,
Sampled some wine in a Naples hotel,
Though I was showed to road to Rome,
Connecticut still will be my home

Bing doesn't stress the French expression, though, which either means he
didn't understand the joke, or - my theory is wrong.
Kristjan