[78-L] FRENCH QUESTION

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Nov 2 09:43:55 PDT 2011

Of course this has nothing to do with 78s, but, expanding a bit,
I think it's more likely to translate as "sh*t" rather than d*mn.
Your two examples could be "Excuse me, but your talking sh*t" or
"Oh, man, that's a load of cr*p!", and "Those mademoiselles were mighty
cute, no sh*t!"
Zut might even be a corruption of sh*t as used by WW1 or WW2 American or
British GIs.
Or could it be a corruption of "sh*te?"
So, does the French word zut predate 1915?
Hmmm.
Mal

*******