[78-L] FRENCH QUESTION

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com
Wed Nov 2 02:32:59 PDT 2011

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  I was waiting for Bertrand or
Patrick to chime in, but no luck.  It looks like the most likely answer is
that "très zut!" is half French and half English, as in zoot, with a meaning
of awesome, cool, nice.  I had never heard zoot used that way but there is
some evidence that it was, back in the 40's.
RayK

In the Bing Crosby/Judy Garland recording of CONNECTICUT Bing interjects the
phrase “très zut”.  Can anyone tell me what exactly is the meaning?  I
believe it dates from around 1945.  Here it is in context......

Italy.... was fun to see,
And really gave me quite a boot!
Had a spree in gay Paree,
Those mademoiselles were mighty cute, très zut!

The song can be heard on YouTube.
RayK