[78-L] College Humour

Brian Bashford brianlives at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 30 13:21:16 PDT 2011

Hell All,
I wonder if anyone here can shine a light on two white label British 78s I
picked up today.

They are "College Humour" By the Committee and other Experts 1934 Parts 1 -
4. The no.s on the labels are the same as the matrix no.s and they are
O.5770 to O.5774. No other information anywhere on them.

I've listened to them and there are  2 or 3 male singers  backed by piano
and one or two other instruments  singing popular songs of the day with the
words altered to poke fun at (I think) prominent businessmen of the day. I
don't know who is being parodied but there's " Selsey Bill The Buyer",
"Spragues Forever Blowing Troubles" and there's a line "The Evening
Standard's on his trail and Tilbrook is glum, he buys no  sweets or candies
now but brandy and rum". These songs are all quite professionally done.

Brian B.