[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Iñigo Cubillo ice261263 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:44:36 PDT 2011

Brad: thanks for your welcome! Also thanks to friends Lennick,
Pomeroy and all others that seem to be so quick fingerin’ their answers
as soon as one throws in a question...

Doug; the anti-RIAA I was talking about was indeed as you say,
it eliminates both the bass boost and the treble rolloff, to leave
the sound flat.
Then you apply the right curves to bass and treble independently.
I do this with the ESOTERIC SOUND re-equalizer,
which works great and does all things . I bought it
years ago from Nauck’s.
It has two separate rotary buttons (six positions each) to choose
the bass emphasis you want to add (FLAT-300-400-RIAA-LP-700 Hz) and
the treble rolloff (FLAT, -5, –10, –12, RIAA, NAB in dB @10 KHz). It’s very
simple to operate.

Years ago, when I had no money to buy this (it costed near EUR250-300 or so)
I used to play with the bass and treble controls of my Dual amp. I observed (and
somewhat calculated) that the lowest bass control position was similar to a 250 Hz
bass boost, and the highest treble gave me near –5dB at 10KHz. Not perfect, but
enough for a 78 fan. 78s sounded much better that way...

GBY