[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. rbratcherjr at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 17 18:29:14 PDT 2011

I don't play loud music for as long of a duration on my loudspeakers as I used to & I sure don't do it while wearing headphones anymore. But I'll admit I still play a few songs really loud close to live concert level from time to time but then I turn the volume back down after that song is over. But then I still can't turn up the volume full blast meaning if I turn the preamp volume control more then about 80% of the way up on my McIntosh 1.2 kilowatt monoblock amplifiers through the B&W 801D loudspeakers that can handle 1000 watts of amplifier power per speaker because it starts to hit my threshold of pain & no that is not good for your hearing!!  Oh & McIntosh amps don't go into clipping distortion like other amplifiers will. Not even if you run them wide open meaning turned all the way up. I forget what those circuits are called but it was a great idea. But then soft clipping can be nice the way it generates upper harmonics but then too much
 clipping (hard clipping) really starts sounding horrible. I used to drive my MC 275's with a stereo transistor amplifier between the 275's & the stereo preamp (it wasn't a Mcintosh) to generate those soft clipping harmonics because I liked the brighter treble I got as long as I didn't turn the mid (transister) amp up too high into severe overload of the MC 275 amps but then I didn't have expensive speakers in those days. I even ruined a few speaker pairs because they couldn't handle 150 watts of power.  Back then I wasn't worried about extra distortion caused by clipping (overdriving) the input of my tube amps or hurting my hearing but then what teanager to early 20's kid is? Now I know better!! Don't turn the volume more than halfway up or just a little higher for an occaisional song or two but thats it.....