[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com
Tue Oct 18 07:09:27 PDT 2011

On 10/17/2011 6:35 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> From: Jeff Lichtman<jeff at swazoo.com>
>> Loss of hearing in the high frequencies happens to almost everyone,
>> but you can minimize it by limiting exposure to loud noises.
>
> It is not just high frequencies, it often is low mid-range -- right in
> the middle of the range needed to understand speech.  That is what nerve
> deafness is.  People speaking are audible to you -- you can hear them --
> they are just not intelligible.  The addition of noise such as when you
> are in a crowded room, riding in a car -- or background music in a film
> or musical accompaniment in a performance -- can make it that much more
> difficult to understand speech you can hear.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

The point that hearing loss comes in many flavors is a good one.  I had
my hearing tested recently, and the noise-induced loss that has been
lurking for a good long time has increased - no surprise.  Better late
than never for ear protection, I suppose.  Some tinnitus, too, been
showing up very slowly for years (I'm 68).

The hearing test will give you a set of data that you can compare to
typical hearing curves, and once you know what you can't hear that
others can you could adjust EQ to compensate.  The other point worth
making is that hearing aids are far more sophisticated than they have
ever been, with electronic controls, multiple miniature mikes, and the
ability to be adjusted or even to adjust themselves.  My wife got a pair
recently, and while it takes some effort to learn to manage them
properly it's been a real benefit, even at $4000 a pair.  I have a
friend who finally got them, and was shocked to hear ambient noises he
hasn't heard for years; his aids apparently can recognize when they're
hearing a phone call, and adjust themselves for it. I haven't asked him
now much this extra feature costs.  I think a good deal of the cost is
in the miniaturization.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine