No subject

Sat Oct 15 04:22:17 PDT 2011

sax, clarinet and trumpet. However, he broke up the band early in 1946 and
became an arranger for Boyd Raeburn, Charlie Barnet and Dizzy Gillespie.
During the early 50's, he conducted studio orchestras backing up such
singers as Helen Merrill and Sarah Vaughn. He began arranging for Stan
Kenton in 1952, his most well known work being that for Kenton's "Cuban
 Fire" album. In 1956, he formed another band which recorded for Bethlehem,
Capitol and Coral, also occasionally appearing at Birdland in New York. He
rejoined Kenton in 1961, arranging the band's "West Side Story" album. He
again left Kenton to lead his own band in 1964, recording this time for
Roulette, but ill health forced his to give up the band in 1967, and he died
in 1968. Among his compositions are his theme, "Young at Heart" which became
a hit for Frank Sinatra.  [info provided by B. Topper]

Nigel Burlinson